Those things don't matter to a dog......

I went to Wal-Mart last nite ... and when I came out I saw a homeless women I have just started noticing here and there around town. I believe her misfortune to be recent. She had herself wrapped in a blanket, pushing a cart and had her dog with her. I went to my car, put my stuff in but turned to see where the woman had gone. At the south side of the entrance near the bicycle rack , she pushed the cart against the wall and went inside the store. I was concerned someone might try to disturb the dog or her few belongings so I walked over, stayed a few feet away and watched over them. The dog, a handsome mixed breed was in good condition, spotless, tagged and was laying on a blanket. He was on a long leash and tied securely in place. The belongings were tucked neatly inside two large tote bags and were on a rack beside the cart. He watched intently for her return. When she came out he jumped in circles and she greeted him with "Get back on your bed now." I slipped across the parking lot back to my car. I came away with a lot of thoughts about it ..... worry for them and their situation, the fact that its hard to know what to do to help. I know I need to do something. I also thought about the dog. He does not know or care that he is homeless, he only knows his world is this woman. He loves her regardless of the fact that she is not pretty, has no fine worldly possessions, fancy clothes or position in this world. Those things don't matter to a dog. I was grateful to be driving home to my small but cozy home with the big screen tv and a warm bed. And I wondered why people can't be more like dogs.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free necklace

Belle Starr's Grave

Amarillo by afternoon.....