I checked my Christmas list.... you two weren't on it...

The other evening just before dark, just as I was finishing up feeding my furry loved ones, I saw headlights down at my gate. Now, no one should be there on this particular nite so I started walking up my road towards them. I live a bit off of the main road, so I have a little walk to get to my gate. I saw someone pass from the passenger side of the vehicle to get back in the driver's side. They backed away and took off before I could get close enough to see what they were doing. I walked on up to my gate to check things over, then saw two small shapes red, and black moving around. With a look that could kill, complete with mental daggers, I glanced in the direction of the escaping suv and muttered under my breath, they have dumped two dogs.
Sadly, that happens a lot, the reason I have a small herd of dogs. As I got closer, I realized these were not dogs, but a red rooster and a little black hen. Incredulous, I just kept saying to myself, who dumps chickens???? And the old standby " This could only happen to me." Well I had to round them up for their own safety, so after some crawling around under my cedars for the hen, I finally had them both secured.
They have since gone to a proper chicken friendly home, much to the disappointment of my dogs. As one of my co-workers stated, " Isn't it always the way, people giving you something you really don't want for Christmas."


Comments

  1. I'm glad that you found homes for them! Merry Christmas to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that! I bet they are thanking their lucky stars they ended up at your gate, and you had the heart to see they have a proper home for the holidays. I think that happens a lot, people dropping off animals. Breaks my heart. Can you imagine just being dumped from your family, in a strange place, left to fend for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so terrible that someone just dumped those poor chickens off! Thank goodness you saw it and could rescue them!
    Wishing you and your family a very, Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exasperated and and particilarly lethal towards these type of people.
    Thank goodness for angels like you, they are so innocent, how can these people sleep at night!!
    Wishing you a very happy christmas to you and all your furry ones.
    Linda,Prince & Woozle xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also know their Thankful for being dropped at your gate...
    I believe the people doing the dropping also KNEW!!!
    Thank Goodness they weren't someones Christmas Dinner...
    I know you found them a NEW home for Christmas, but why would someone want to get rid of TWO chickens???

    Wishing You Always The Seasons Best...
    Keep The Heart...
    ~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free necklace

Belle Starr's Grave

My Little Adventure